Scientific Output Portal (PPC) is a software developed by SIGMA Gestión universitaria AIE (SIGMAAIE) (1) in collaboration with University Pompeu Fabra (UPF) , to show on an easy and intuitive way, all the scientific output of an institution, grouped by researcher, department, research center and/or research figure (research groups, units,…), accessible from the UPF institutional web site and with free access to the scientific community and society. The scientific production includes research projects, publications (journal articles, books, book chapters, working papers) etc. of those researchers that the university has their curriculum vitae. It can handle all the research information stored in a Current Research Information System (CRIS), called ARGOS. In the near future, if the full digital document is available in the University’s institutional repositories (IRs) like DSpace (2), the system will link it. Nowadays, the system can link directly with the "UPF Library e-repositori".
Providing an URL, any researcher can access directly to his scientific production which can be allocated to other websites, his own blog, twitter... and the possibility that the researchers can obtain their CVs in several formats (MEC, AQU, a personalized view…) including Standardized Currículum Vítae (CVN) (3) promoted by FECyT.
It can also display the impact and number of citations of a scientific journal from international repositories like: SCOPUS, ISI WOK… (This information, as the researcher CV generation, is not public in the Portal).
In UPF, the information is introduced and validated by specialized personnel of the Library Service, so researchers only validates their information (it’s called centralized mode). The system can also works in decentralized mode which allows the researchers to introduce their own activities. The Library take a relevant role, reviewing the information and validating what it is new into the system. Once is validated can be publish into the portal.
PPC was designed to be useful and friendship to find the scientific production related to the researchers of the institution. It allows different ways to find the scientific production information wanted as by researcher’s name, by keyword, by department, by research figure (like groups, units…), by research center and by scientific area. The results are shown in three structural blocks:
• Contract&Grants which include projects, research contracts and other grants and subsides;
• Publications which include journal articles and its translations, books and its translations, book chapters and its translations, congresses, working papers, manuals and other publications;
• Others which include Phd theses, awards, stays abroad, courses and seminars given, experience of R+D management, editorial collaborations, participation on committees, event organization, research lines and other kind of activities.
The information that you can consult could be as specific as the scientific output from one researcher or as global as the scientific outputs of an entire Department. The results can be used either by researchers, departments, institutions, enterprises or by the society.
The information contained in PPC is also used to generate research reports (global, by department, by group…), and to generate the annual UPF Research Report.
PPC improves the internal management of the University and is the source for generating the PDI’s curriculum vitae (teaching and research staff) submitted to calls, proposals, agreements, contracts, and so on.
This product is used by UPF for more than 3 years, with really good results, as has been explained before. They have more than 20.400 access, more than 56.000 visited pages and 49,66% of new visits to the product from September 2008 (according to Google analytics) , it only counts external access (it does not count inner University access) and, during this period, the university improved its scientific results and rankings in many areas in part due to they have been able to store and disseminate their results in a clear and accessible way. Nowadays, the system stores research activities of more than 800 researchers (90% of the full-time Phd). Since 2008, UPF has improved its position ranking (for example, in ARWU 2008, UPF was not between 500 top universities in the world. After the launch of PPC it has positioned in this ranking).
The product can be installed in any university or research institution with an open license. It only needs to be installed and make the initial load and transfer of scientific information into CRIS ARGOS; afterwards it only has an annual maintenance fee.
(1) Sigma Gestión Universitaria is an association of universities that transforms university data management needs by means of an integrated computer tools solution, to provide support for the whole university administration process (both academic and research processes). It arose from the interest of various universities in bringing together the needs of data management and administrative procedures and turning them into a set of modules that provide solutions to emerging and changing problems in the university environment.
(2) DSpace is the software of choice for academic, non-profit, and commercial organizations building open digital repositories. DSpace preserves and enables easy and open access to all types of digital content including text, images, moving images, mpegs and data sets. With an ever-growing community of developers, committed to continuously expanding and improving the software.
(3) The Standardized R+D+I Curriculum Vitae Project (CVN) is a strategic project for the creation of a common space for the integration and exchange of curricular information of researcher and every person that belongs to the Spanish System of Science, Technology and Company (SECTE).that is an initiative of FECYT. Nowadays, more than 70 Spanish universities have implemented this kind of CV, including UPF.
UPF Portal: http://www.upf.edu/
SIGMA AIE: http://www.gestionuniversitariasigma.com/es/inicio.html
CVN project: https://cvn.fecyt.es/presentacion/miCVN.jsp